Redwall Squirrels

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Redwall Rolplaying > Sticky: Basics and rules

Dannflor
Site Owner

1 No badmouth or swearing

2 only do RPS that are related to the Redwall series (You may run RP ideas that are not related to the series by Arya Brushtail)

3 When wanting to discuss something when you're not posng as your character, do it by: A) A PM, B) In the OOC: discussion topic where you signed up, or C) By posting OOC:, and then BIC:

Example:

OOC: When are we leaving the forest?

BIC: Mister Mouse trekked through the forest, ignoring the rain and wet.

The Gamemaster, or GM, is the one who controls the RP. This person leads what will happen, and can dictate how all other RPers need to roleplay their characters to. i.e. The GM could post, out of character, that he needs all the RPers to get themselves from whenever they're at to the Abbey, for instance.

Godmoding:

Godmoding (or GMing) is the state in which a roleplayer makes his character too strong. i.e. being able to control everything on earth or having a really tricked out sword that can destroy an invading fleet in two seconds. The gamemaster is subject to the same as everyone, no GMing allowed. If you are GMing, you will be asked to stop by either a GM or a member of the staff.

Powerplaying:

Similar to Godmoding (GMing) is Powerplaying, or PPing. PPing is when you control someone else's character. i.e. you kill that person's character, say something about that character with no ground already said, or generally take any control over any other character in the RPG without the character's owner's consent. If the character's owner gives consent, you may PP with that character, advancing them forward.

Character Sheets:

A character sheet is the information that is your character. For instance, if you wanted to join a roleplay, you’d create Mister Mouse. You’d outline in this sheet his name (Name: Mister Mouse), his age (Age: 34) etc. It is suggested you put as much detail in this as possible. You will probably be given a spefic template to fill out in your OOC: topic. If not, then copy and paste the more generic one that's in a topic in Sign up for Roleplays here Board.

Creating a Roleplay

When creating a roleplay on Redwall Squirrels, you should make a topic with your idea and plot lined out (But not too lined out ;)), then when you have given people enough time to join you may then post the actual RP topic. You can post the initial, sign-up topic in the appropriate sub-board. This staging process can take as long as you wish, as more and more players join and create character sheets. It is reccpmendeed that you wait at leats a week, though you can wait to start it, or start it sooner. Just gfive people a chance to join first!

When creating a roleplay, be sure to use proper syntax, punctuation and capitalization in its title. Also avoid solicitation in the title, eg. “please join quick-need players!!!”. But one thing you could do if you need players is A) Wait a little longer, or B) Put (OPEN) or (OPEN: SEEKING PLAYERS) in the title. For example,

Autumn Harvest: OOC: Discussion (OPEN; SEEKING PLAYERS) or Autumn Harvest: OOC: Discussion (OPEN)

Joining a Roleplay

If you come across a roleplay that looks interesting or that you’d like to join, check to see the sign-up topic. Depending on the roleplay, you will need to follow instructions on how to join if you can. If there are none, then create a character sheet and wait for the creator’s approval before you begin roleplaying.

Creating Rules for a Roleplay

Individual roleplays on Redwall Squirrels may have specific rules. For instance, it may be required your posts be at least two paragraphs, you only have one character etc. Be sure to read, understand and follow these rules.

Advertising a Roleplay

You may link to and talk about your roleplay in your signature and profile. However, refrain from creating solicitation topics anywhere on the forum. If you put your title together good enough, you should get players. If you feel you do not have enough players, then consider stating so in the sign-up topic alone. Otherwise, you may contact members who you feel would be interested in joining. But make sure to not PM spam anyone who doesn’t roleplay.

Guidelines for Being a Good Roleplayer

• Always strive to make meaningful contributions to a roleplay. While this is not only providing serious amount of content, it is in large part. At least three sentences is suggested per post. You may post less or more, but try to avoid purely speech posts or one-liners; Examples below.

• Try to use as best punctuation and grammar as absolutely possible. This allows the roleplay to succeed better, be easier to follow, and creates an overall better experience for involved roleplayers.

Examples:

' "No, I don't think so." ' BAD POST!!! This is a purely speech post. It does practically nothing. It's also a one-liner.

' The mouse thought while walking down the stairs. ' BAD POST!!! This is a lovely example of a one-liner. One-liners also do practically nothing to advance the plot.

' "No, I don't think that's a good idea." Arya said, frowning. She grabbed the last onion, and started to chop it, taking out her anger on the poor root. ' GOOD TO ALRIGHT POST!!! This post has: The character Arya replying to someone else; Three sentences; And it helps move the plot alomng (We'll say she's making dinner. This helps 'dinner' get done faster.) An even better post will have more sentences, and will move the plot further.

This guide is to aid you along on your RPing journey here at Redwall Squirrels. Consult it again if you feel like you need to. And also feel free to ask more experienced roleplayers for help or suggestions. This is by no means a complete guide. To enhance your roleplaying abilities, see this topic. If you feel you can contribute to it, then help us create an even better roleplaying atmos

--

June 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

StiffenerMedick

Okay, that sounds confusing. Incidentally, why are you the only one to post, besides me, so far?

July 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannflor
Site Owner

Yeah I know the other members they know what I mean :D

--

July 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

W0NWILL
Administrator

I changed

This guide is to aid you along on your RPing journey here at the Redwall Forums.

To

This guide is to aid you along on your RPing journey here at Redwall Squirrels.

--

Make everything as simple of possible, but not simpler. ~Albert Einstein

August 7, 2012 at 8:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannflor
Site Owner

You explained it all

--

August 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arya Brushtail
Administrator

Oh, when RPing, your post doesn't have to be ten thousand sentences, but one-liners and merely speech posts are discouraged. Don't get into the habit. It' hard to break.......This I know.

--

June 20, 2014 at 5:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tam and Martin

I agree Corny.....er, Arya.

--

"Haway the Braw" "Martin the Warrior" Tam and Martin are our favorite characters

June 27, 2014 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arya Brushtail
Administrator

Haha. ...Corny's still fine. Although others might get a tad confused. :D

--

June 30, 2014 at 1:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arya Brushtail
Administrator

I added a little bit, and fixed a few things. Anyone else got suggestions?

--

October 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannflor
Site Owner

Great, Thanks!

--

January 14, 2015 at 8:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arya Brushtail
Administrator

No problem, thinking of editing it again.

--

February 1, 2015 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannflor
Site Owner

Sure When I get time! :O

--

February 3, 2015 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.