Redwall Squirrels

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Redwall fan works > The Lost Adventures of Martin the Warrior

W0NWILL
Administrator

Authors' Note: This is a dual fanfiction, it is written by two people with different writing styles. If this annoys you, then don't read, but we thought it would be fun to write a story as a team. This story has many references to the different books of Redwall, but takes place before most of them. Also this story is dedicated to Brian Jacques, because he has inspired us, and we wish to inspire others. As he would say, "In our imaginations we can go anywhere."

Disclaimer: Many of these characters and all of the places are property of the late Brian Jacques, we do not own them.

Prologue

Furff the molemaid called out anxiously "Wur ur you, you rascirly dibbun? She climbed the attic stairs still calling out for the babe. "Nebu! Woi doon't wee dibbuns behave for wonce?" Reaching the uppermost part of the Abbey attics, she looked around. She walked across the room and opened a cupboard thinking that Nebu could be hiding. Pulling out a large jar, she opened it, her curiosity getting the better of her. Pulling out a single scroll of parchment she started to read it and noticed the name Young Dinny of Mossflower Country. Recognizing her ancestor's name she took the jar down to Cavern hole; after finding Nebu; where there was a meeting of the elders of the Abbey. "Luk what oi foinded!" She exclaimed as she entered the room. She placed the jar on the table in front of the abbey's dormouse, Sister Dolor. Sister Dolor opened one scroll and read "Further Adventures of Martin the Warrior, written by Dinny the mole many thanks to the many creatures who helped." The sister gasped "These must be recordings of some of Martin's adventures! No one knows much about the warrior's life, this could be very interesting."

Nebu tugged at her habit. "Could I listen to Mister Dinny's scrolls?"

"Shure, we can invoit the Abbey and loisen to Marthens adveentures, nought beeter to do on a shnowy day" said Furff.

Sister Dolor clapped her paws "Excellent idea! By the looks of the weather right now the storm could last several days. Furff, go and get anybeast that is interested to hear about Martin, I think we may need to move to the Great Hall."

Everybeast in the Abbey gathered in the Great Hall to listen to Sister Dolor's narrative, and she began to read the scrolls.

August 7, 2012 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W0NWILL
Administrator

"Triffle! Triffle! Vermin!" The warrior of Noonvale sat up with a jolt "Where!"

"They're coming from the east"

"Thanks Arty." The harvest mouse acknowledged her thanks with a nod. Triffle ran east before taking her position in a birch. "Oh dear." There were more vermin than she could hope to fight off on her own, if only the Pygmy shrews had stayed a season longer. Never the less Triffle began shooting arrow after arrow into the crowd of vermin. A Pine Martin began encouraging the other vermin to charge.

"Look,there's only a tree mouse, archers git her!" After a volley was shot in her general direction.

Triffle poked her head from the branches and taunted "You call yourselves archers? You couldn't hit water if you were standing up to your neck in a lake!" She kept on firing arrows toward the vermin.

The pine martin roared at his unfortunate crew "Keep on shootin', I want her to be a pincushion!"

A female stoat came up and said nervously. "Lord Sislope, wouldn't it be wiser to tell the archers to fire when they see her, it would save arrows-" She faltered when Sislope had his halberd to her throat.

Then he smiled disarmingly "You were ever smart, but you will only use those brains for me, Captain Dux."

She saluted stiffly for she was still held fast by the halberd "To hear is to obey, my lord."

Triffle ran towards Noonvale, perhaps she could get every beast to evacuate.

"Double march to the west, foller that tree mouse!" Triffle groaned; it was a deadly race between her and the vermin.

She reached Noonvale, everybeast was milling around. It appeared Arty had gotten the word out that vermin were on the move.

Brome pounced on Triffle "Did you stop them?"

Triffle shook her head "No, there was too many, we need to get out of here."

Brome looked worried, "The elderly and the babes will panic, as will most of the village, we have never left Noonvale because of vermin."

"Well we are going to have to leave now, or we are all as good as dead." Triffle replied.

"Can you delay them any longer? We can use all the time we can get now."

"Maybe till nightfall, if we're lucky, but don't count on it."

"Are you familiar with the legends of Martin the Warrior?"

"Aye, but why?"

"If Noonvale is imprisoned, we need more than one warrior. If all else fails go northwest to our otter friends of Holt Lutra, ask them to take you south and ask for information on Martin."

"But Brome, isn't Martin just a nice story to tell the babes?"

"Believe me Triffle, Martin was my mate. If you are in trouble shout fur and freedom. Take Arty with you, if you have to escape, he has a head on his shoulders."

Triffle smiled briefly "Doesn't every beast?" and took off like an arrow.

"May fortune speed your paws!" Brome called after her.

Triffle branch-hopped to where the vermin were marching and immediately began firing at them again, but her arrows were numbered. Triffle groped for her arrows, one left, she had to make this shot count. She coolly laid the arrow on the string and drew the bow and aimed it at Lord Sislope's forehead and then a slingstone brushed her ear; she jumped just as she released the arrow, the arrow didn't slay Sislope but it did peg him in the shoulder. Triffle hung her bow on a branch and pulled out her dirk. She leaped from the tree and raced toward Sislope; if he was killed maybe the vermin would lose their fight. Her charge was so sudden the vermin stared dumbfounded except for a young ferret that was near Sislope. The ferret grabbed his sword and set upon Triffle, Triffle slew him easily with a swipe. Triffle came out of the swipe and instead of killing Sislope the hilt thudded into his eye.

"Hit 'er!" he managed to say, and a club to the head knocked her unconscious

A/N: I'll post two chapters a day, whenever I'm on, until I'm out of stored chapters.

August 7, 2012 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannflor
Site Owner

WOWWY

--

August 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W0NWILL
Administrator

At Salamandastron a grizzled hare colonel rushed up to badger Lady Ira "Milady! A vermin crew has slain two gallopers and fled down south like the cowards they are, wot wot!"

Ira stood up and bowed slightly, a red tinge appearing in her eyes "Send out Tila and Castiona with their three score of hares. Tell them that they need to kill that crew, down to the last rat."

In the officers mess Castona was heading the officers in a song

"O, it's hard and dry when the sun is high

and the dust is in your throat,

and when rain pours down,

near fit to drown,

it soaks right through your coat.

But the hares of the Long Patrol, my lads,

Stout heart they walk with me

Over hill and plain and back again

To the shores of the wide blue sea.

Through mud and mire to a warm campfire,

I'll trek with you, old friend,

O'er lea and dale in a roaring gale,

Right to our journey's end.

Aye, the hares of the Long Patrol, my lads,

Love friendship more than gold.

We'll share long days and tread hard ways,

Good comrades, brave and bold."

"Ah luv that song, it ramands me of mah recruit seasons, eh Casti?" Tila sighed.

Castiona nodded "Aye et does."

The grizzled colonel huffed and blowed up to the twin master sergeants. "Marms, Lady Ira says you are to take Fatasi, Dolo, Cursu, Cordilas, Parvo, Fatigo and the rest of your troops. And go north chasing vermin that slayed two young gallopers and have the vermin pay in blood."

Tila's eyes hardened "Thise vermin will weep tears of blud, ye have mah oath on that."

Castiona gripped the table edge "Wah'll move out en full force before breakfast tomorrow. Ah'll till them thet they well be ready." The sergeants marched out in perfect step.

Triffle came to with Sislope leaning over her and smiling. "have you ever heard the saying 'an eye for an eye'? That saying is about to become reality," he held up a wicked looking stiletto blade and brought the blade uncomfortably close to her eye. It was like a thunderbolt came from nowhere, in the form of Arty.

"Gerroff her, you great bully!" Spurred by Arty's brave action the citizens of Noonvale rushed to her aid. Sislope wrestled with Arty a brief moment before he managed to plunge the stiletto blade into the field-mouse's body. Brome ran to Triffle and sliced through her bonds with a sharp piece of flint.

"Get Martin the Warrior, save Noonvale, Arty gave his life, go!" Brushing away tears at her cowardliness Triffle ran west to find the otters of Holt Lutra

--

Make everything as simple of possible, but not simpler. ~Albert Einstein

August 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannflor
Site Owner

Great MORE

--

January 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

W0NWILL
Administrator

Hmm... *taps fingers against jaw* I'll get them up when I can.

--

Make everything as simple of possible, but not simpler. ~Albert Einstein

January 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arya Brushtail
Administrator

I like it, W0N!You need to come back here so you write it some more!

--

June 20, 2014 at 5:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannflor
Site Owner

LOL!!!

--

July 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arya Brushtail
Administrator

I fail to see what is so funny in that statement.

--

November 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannflor
Site Owner

I used to think LOL meaned Love a Lot, Sorry my Stupid years! I know it means Laugh Out Loud now! So

LAL! If its a meaning?

--

January 14, 2015 at 8:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.